Thread: This needs to change to protect caregivers and patients

This needs to change to protect caregivers and patients

I have a real issue with the patient being the one to tell the caregiver they no longer are their caregiver, does that make sense? If a patient gets upset and does not inform the caregiver where does that leave them? Shouldn't the state inform caregivers immediately so they can stay within the law? It also states that it is the patients responsibility to make sure all cards are returned.

Another huge beef I have with their set up is allowing the patient and/or the caregiver to have so much info about the other, Social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, etc. What if you run across a shyster who is a great con artist or much worse things that can happen run through my head. These things need to be changed. Those bills should have addressed these things.

Question: Can a patient withdraw from the program?
    Answer: Yes. A patient must submit a written statement that he or she wishes to withdraw from the MMMP. The MMMP will request that all cards be returned and the file will be closed. The patient's card and all cards associated will be voided. It is the responsibility of the patient to notify his or her caregiver, if applicable, that his or her card is no longer valid. It is the patient's responsibility to collect all cards associated with his or her patient card and return them to the Department. If the Department is notified by the patient that he or she would like to withdraw from the program, the Department shall notify the primary caregiver by mail at the address of record informing the caregiver that his or her card is no longer valid and must be returned to the Department within fourteen (14) calendar days. All cards must be returned to the Department within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date that the Department was notified of withdrawal. If the patient so chooses he or she may reapply as a new patient at any time. In order to reapply a patient must submit the required documentation and application fee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

blueberry (07-12-2012)

I have to admit to stalking my patient ever since I received her info on the back of her card. But...since she is my wife she doesn't complain...much.

Kidding aside...I was very surprised how much personal info was on the card. Makes you feel like a target.
    I don't see the need for all of that to be there.
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

blueberry (07-12-2012)

The goal should be to normalize enforcement. This persecution is just civil rights violations on a grand scale. Thanks, bb
    Gandhi
    Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state has become lawless or corrupt. And a citizen who barters with such a state shares in its corruption and lawlessness...

Visit http://realcbd.org

I wont be a caregiver again untill the card system changes.All a patients card needs to say is if they have a caregiver or not.On my patients cards had my name and address on them.That makes me a target if they lose there card of if leo sees it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

blueberry (07-12-2012)

I am soon to take on my first patient, this said, I am lucky in the part its my sister. Unlucky on the same fact. This said, I always had a problem with Indiana posting a social security number on a cdl, imagine how I felt day my mm card came in the mail? I means sheesh, whatever happened to my right to privacy, especially on an easy to misplace piece of plastic. I seriously been debating since my days of possessing an Indiana cdl to just go get all my personal info tattoed to my face, including my email address, and last time I pooped.

This said I heard from a few friends who have had patients sign with them, expected to recieve freebies, never get them, and poof. Never contacting them about it. I havent read a case on someone being arrested for it, though could definitely see where it could easily happen. Then whose at fault? Seriously, the state makes a patient wait 21 days to be a patient, why cant the state say ok, we recieved a letter of transfer for cg, so you have 21 days to lower your counts, or find a new patient? And said patient has 21 days to make a smooth transition into the new cg's system, while retaining old as well. That way a patient who is forced to moveto a new location, can still retain a place to get meds. Or a patient who has difficulties with previous cg, cant cause them intentional harm by not informing them. Point blank, its not the LARA's ass on the line, so they careless. I have yet to see LARA participate in any court cases, yet they set the rules, leaving lawmakers to sort it out. Wow great system there. Especially when they could have prevented such an oversight.

I swear the law was written to make us stay underground and act like a drug dealer instead of a medical provider and or patient. This state has a long ways to go, to fix alot of their short sights, that could end a person up with major attorney bills at the least.

dont even get me in the whole patient to patient transfers, dispensary, or cg to cg issues, that any idiot could fix easily enough.
    Sad when Lapeer's prosecuting attorney claims this
    Konschuh said the state should not allow exchange of marijuana between patients, because those using other prescribed medications aren't allowed to freely exchange with one another.

"They want to treat marijuana as a medicine and share it socially, like a beer," he said. "Either you're using it as a medication or it's a social thing."

from here Supreme Court review of medical marijuana case may impact Genesee County dispensaries | MLive.com
    anyways my rants over.
    Why has man lived thousands of years without governemnt aid, and depends upon it to aid them today?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteryman For This Useful Post:

abeam-pm (07-11-2012),blueberry (07-12-2012)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

blueberry (07-12-2012)

Another issue that I don't think LARA even thinks twice about, female caregivers, there are more of us then most think especially the gov't.

I decided from day 1 that I would send in the forms whether it be for a new patient or just a change form. I thought I would be protected from giving out my address and ALL my information. I do not allow patients in my home and I only give them a general area of where I am, outside of town. I think patients need to know at least if a caregiver is close by or not. When an app was sent back because the patients copy of the ID was too dark it went to him. He made a comment to me about how he was right over by my home one day, he lives 20 minutes or more from me, this gave me the most uncomfortable feeling. This was a new patient and they had sent my information along with his returned form.

I interviewed him several times and a face to face meeting which is when he signed the paperwork and I sent it off. Each interaction with him made me grow more uneasy. He wanted to spend a lot of time talking on the phone which I don't mind especially if a new patient needs some help which sometimes can entail a lot but this was a bit different then that and it would be hours of time on the phone. The last straw was when he called me like I was a drug dealer. I don't want to post everything on a public forum but it all boiled down to HE was a drug dealer! This put a stop to me being his caregiver but he was/is angry.

Will he do anything with my information or the fact he knows where I live? Probably not but there is a self preservation tickling on the back of my neck when I think of him having too much of my personal info and knowing my address. These forms need to be changed and it is not that hard to do especially if it protects both the caregiver and the patients Right to privacy.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

blueberry (07-12-2012),mysteryman (07-13-2012)

If this issue was looked at like a health care issue there wouldn't be an issue. Great points in this thread. Well said all. thanks, Bb
    Gandhi
    Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state has become lawless or corrupt. And a citizen who barters with such a state shares in its corruption and lawlessness...

Visit http://realcbd.org

I would never take on a patient I do not know and trust because of many of the topics covered here. Just having a big air conditioner gets you broke into in my area, I certainly do not want my name and address on a card some bozo is going to show their friends.

So it says somewhere you have to wait 21 days to start growing for someone that transfers their plants to you (you become their care giver)?

And if "It is the patient's responsibility to collect all cards associated with his or her patient card and return them to the Department." then if you still possess the card you are covered. Because the "Department" knows if they sent back the card issued to you or not. I'm not a lawyer, just stating what seems logical.

Doesn't get you off the hook though. They would say the caregiver must return it no matter what and it would fall upon them to make sure it is returned.

If the Department is notified by the patient that he or she would like to withdraw from the program, the Department shall notify the primary caregiver by mail at the address of record informing the caregiver that his or her card is no longer valid and must be returned to the Department within fourteen (14) calendar days. All cards must be returned to the Department within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date that the Department was notified of withdrawal.