Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longest most slowest way to dry/cure

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Yah, its 50 shades of gray, alright.

It seems so much of this is about intent.
    Section 8-2 of the MMMA talks of intent to have a usable amount of marijuana to maintain a continous supply of medicine.

So, in the spirit of "intent" I would say keep your dry/curing meds in a state that is not intended for use.
    Is it enough to keep the buds on the stick, put those sticks in paper bags, put those paper bags in turkey basting bags, and then putting all of that into a air tight 30 gallon plastic pet food container?

I don't know, but it definitely shows the intent is that the meds are not ready for usage.

As always, consult AG Schuette before doing anything with MMJ.
    lol that is funny as hell .
    Intent it is. If you made a cutting and it does not have roots its a plant because of intention. Frank is bang on. Even if it is not friable it is still a plant. Intent is what judges look at.

Be very careful there was a court case already where this was attempted in Niles Michigan and the patient was convicted as over weight limits . It may be still on appeal but the sentance will be over before the court case is . I think the hanging a plant upside down with the roots attached and counting it within your count until cut up nibbling off it is best along with having a progressive perpetual grow that harvests a plant every 13 days . Easier to state then actually do but you can have some leeway to adjust your cured amounts this way . You can even wait longer to flower if you get ahead or speed one up if you must .

It is imperitive to have seperate flower and veg divisions within ones grow . Sadly regulation inflates costs due to storage limits that are too low for many medical users under our act . No person harvests three apples from a tree and throws the rest away until the next crop like our Act promotes . Nor can they control how many apples grow on the tree . If something must be changed increasing weight limits to what 12 plants can offer would be a good spot to start . More people would start to become involved in med able use which is easier to do away from home and better for many health situations .

I was a patient whose comfort was unobtainable until the medical cannabis act . Like any drug therapy I am suspect comfort will last forever and I try to work towards being prepared for that . However there is no co operation and like so many others I find myself often accused as a criminal , a undesireable , with all medical personel distracted . I too bellieve that all men and women are created equal and nobody should be discriminated due to what medicine or herbal treatments work best for them . I believe all patients have the right to choose not have treatment dictated by Government or anyone . Medicine is a Art that is referenced with science .

Good luck with the Council in Jackson were all praying for you . I believe having things in a vetted safe environment known to all in ones community is definitely better then the alternatives . Why put everyone back in the streets or patients meeting strangers alone in their homes or ?
    Last edited by Croppled1; 06-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croppled1 View Post
    Be very careful there was a court case already where this was attempted in Niles Michigan and the patient was convicted as over weight limits . It may be still on appeal but the sentance will be over before the court case is . I think the hanging a plant upside down with the roots attached and counting it within your count until cut up nibbling off it is best along with having a progressive perpetual grow that harvests a plant every 13 days . Easier to state then actually do but you can have some leeway to adjust your cured amounts this way . You can even wait longer to flower if you get ahead or speed one up if you must .

It is imperitive to have seperate flower and veg divisions within ones grow . Sadly regulation inflates costs due to storage limits that are too low for many medical users under our act . No person harvests three apples from a tree and throws the rest away until the next crop like our Act promotes . Nor can they control how many apples grow on the tree . If something must be changed increasing weight limits to what 12 plants can offer would be a good spot to start . More people would start to become involved in med able use which is easier to do away from home and better for many health situations .

I was a patient whose comfort was unobtainable until the medical cannabis act . Like any drug therapy I am suspect comfort will last forever and I try to work towards being prepared for that . However there is no co operation and like so many others I find myself often accused as a criminal , a undesireable , with all medical personel distracted . I too bellieve that all men and women are created equal and nobody should be discriminated due to what medicine or herbal treatments work best for them . I believe all patients have the right to choose not have treatment dictated by Government or anyone . Medicine is a Art that is referenced with science .

Good luck with the Council in Jackson were all praying for you . I believe having things in a vetted safe environment known to all in ones community is definitely better then the alternatives . Why put everyone back in the streets or patients meeting strangers alone in their homes or ?
    It is good to see you my friend! Thanks, bb
    Gandhi
    Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state has become lawless or corrupt. And a citizen who barters with such a state shares in its corruption and lawlessness...

Visit http://realcbd.org

Quote Originally Posted by Croppled1 View Post

Nice piece Croppled1. Welcome to the site by the way.

Welcome Croppled1
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

I had a couple of really nice buds that were moist. I thought it was just resin on the buds so I put them in a sealed glass jar. About 6 weeks later, I pulled them out and there was what I suspect mold all over the buds. When I put them away, there wasn't any white on them. But looking at them, I discovered what appears to be mold/mildew on about 30% of the buds. I trashed them as I don't want to inhale mold/mildew. Were they not cured properly? I just bought a UV black light to check future meds. I know it wasn't mites because they looked really good when I put them away. They were in a dark glass jar, in a dark drawer, so I know no light was getting to them. Is it better to make sure any meds are dried out before making them airtight? Also, is it a good idea to grind the meds up before stashing them away or do they become less potent? I've done a lot of reading and people say that anyone who has smoked for an extended period has probably smoked meds with mold present and most of the mold is harmless. But I was too paranoid so I just trashed them. Any experiences with this and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to ask my CG because I don't want to insult him. These buds were put away for probably about 6 weeks or so, the nicest buds from a 1/4 oz. Needless to say, I'm really bummed out about it, mostly by my own inexperienced stupidity. Again, TYIA for any/all help!

Lets talk about drying. When a bud is drying, the outside of the bud dries faster than the inside because the outside is exposed and the inside isn't. So you want to let the outside dry and then put the bud into a sealed jar. Do not overstuff the jar, you need to leave space for the bud to breath and you need room to be able to move the buds around.

Open the jar several times a day to exchange the air and gently move the buds around so it isn't always jammed up against the side of the jar. I use a chopstick to gently move them around

After a day or so you will notice the bud seems to be even more damp than when you put it into the jar. That is because the moisture from the inside of the bud has migrated to the outside of the bud in an effort to equalize the moisture. Like a wicking effect.

Put the damp bud back on the drying rack until the outside feels dry again. Repeat the jarring and air exchange.

Continue until the bud is dried evenly and to the level you desire. Then you can start your curing process.

Cg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

roofratMI (05-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CgOrganic View Post
    Lets talk about drying. When a bud is drying, the outside of the bud dries faster than the inside because the outside is exposed and the inside isn't. So you want to let the outside dry and then put the bud into a sealed jar. Do not overstuff the jar, you need to leave space for the bud to breath and you need room to be able to move the buds around.

Open the jar several times a day to exchange the air and gently move the buds around so it isn't always jammed up against the side of the jar. I use a chopstick to gently move them around

After a day or so you will notice the bud seems to be even more damp than when you put it into the jar. That is because the moisture from the inside of the bud has migrated to the outside of the bud in an effort to equalize the moisture. Like a wicking effect.

Put the damp bud back on the drying rack until the outside feels dry again. Repeat the jarring and air exchange.

Continue until the bud is dried evenly and to the level you desire. Then you can start your curing process.

Cg
    Thanks. But my CG has already given me when the med is cured. I thought this strain, G-13, was just a sticky, moist plant.
    And I did exactly the opposite of your info. I <packed> my jars, with meds more dry. And I kept them sealed, in bud form.
    I limited the air, exposure and never left them to exposed air or "stirred" them up. I'm not a grower but my CG is <very> experienced.

My problem is limited use. I'm only able to meet my CG twice a year or so. So I stock up and need to store it for 4-6 months.
    I only need a very, very limited amount, 2 or 3 hits a day, so I probably buy more than I need. But I guess it's better than running out. It's the only thing that works on my leg pain.

If it's already cured, would exposing it to air weaken it? And at what point would I be able to stop exposing it if it's dry?
    I don't want the meds to be less potent but I also don't want to inhale mold/mildew.

Would grinding it up and then storing be better for several weeks?
    Or would it lose most of the potency?

TY for the help. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to problems. : )

The moistness, plus jarred up was what let the mold get started. I wouldn't grind it up but I would routinely exchange the air in the jar to prevent the mold.

Moisture - Mold needs relatively damp (60% plus humidity) conditions to grow. If you want to prevent mold you need to keep humidity low, ideally in the 30%-50%
    range. This may not be possible in an open environment, which is why a closed environment such as a jar or pot is ideal, provided the weed is dry in the first
    place. If that cannabis is damp, you’ll have mold within days or weeks, guaranteed.

Light- Light, and sunlight in particular, is probably the single most important factor in lowering the potency and worsening the taste of bud. Storing it in direct sunlight will have the effect of slowly vaporising the THC and CBD from your nugs. If your weed is stored in a clear glass jar, this effect will be accelerated, as the UV rays are magnified directly onto your cannabis. If you use a clear glass or plastic jar, keep it out of direct sunlight, or ideally in the dark if you’re storing for the medium to long term (more than a couple of weeks).

Cg

Quote Originally Posted by CgOrganic View Post
    The moistness, plus jarred up was what let the mold get started. I wouldn't grind it up but I would routinely exchange the air in the jar to prevent the mold.

Moisture - Mold needs relatively damp (60% plus humidity) conditions to grow. If you want to prevent mold you need to keep humidity low, ideally in the 30%-50%
    range. This may not be possible in an open environment, which is why a closed environment such as a jar or pot is ideal, provided the weed is dry in the first
    place. If that cannabis is damp, you’ll have mold within days or weeks, guaranteed.

Light- Light, and sunlight in particular, is probably the single most important factor in lowering the potency and worsening the taste of bud. Storing it in direct sunlight will have the effect of slowly vaporising the THC and CBD from your nugs. If your weed is stored in a clear glass jar, this effect will be accelerated, as the UV rays are magnified directly onto your cannabis. If you use a clear glass or plastic jar, keep it out of direct sunlight, or ideally in the dark if you’re storing for the medium to long term (more than a couple of weeks).

Cg
    So a properly cured med is dried safely enough to store, whether it's ground or not?
    I keep mine in a glass jar with a plastic lid. And then in a dark drawer so I know it's not getting light, especially sunlight.

I've had about 15 strains and this is the first time I noticed mold. Other strains may have had it but from every thing I've read, much of the mold can't even be seen, is very common and has usually been consumed for many years with no ill effects. I think I've read that there are over 50 types of mold which can form, most of them harmless.

That being said, I also read to bake the med to kill the mold and use the product, whether in an oil, butter or vaporizor. It was too gross looking for me, I just tossed it. I may need to find a closer supply and just get less at a time to use it up faster. : )