Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extracts and Solvents

Extracts and Solvents

It seems 'no solvents' would be the best option but then again, receiving the flood of cannabinoids from a concentrate can be very beneficial to people with certain afflictions. So there is a risk/benefit assessment that must be done on a case by case basis. There is no absolute answer I don't believe.

How likely is it that the extract will help and is the possible harm from a solvent residue more risky than the damage/pain from the affliction. To the 'terminal cancer patient', that residue would have to be pretty harmful to outweigh the possible benefits. To the patient with a sore knee, that knee would have to be awfully painful to outweigh the possible risks from a solvent.

Do these solvents accumulate in a person's body over time with repeated use? Some toxins are passed with each use and some things accumulate in organs of the body and eventually reach a toxic level. Does anyone know if residues from butane, naphtha, or iso alcohol accumulate in humans?

How much of these solvents would a person need to ingest in a sitting in order to feel sick? In other words, how many milliliters of iso alcohol or naphtha would a person have to drink to have ill effects?

I know there is residue in all naphtha extracts but if the naphtha is say 1-2% of the extract(a guess), is that residual amount a real health concern? To a healthy person? To a terminal patient?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to washtenaut For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (06-03-2013)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to washtenaut For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (06-03-2013)

We've been having a lot of discussions about this one. A few of us are trying to find the cleanest. I would not now recommend using Naphtha at all, it is not the same type that Rick Simpson uses and we can not get that type here with the low boiling point. This doesn't even matter any longer because it has been found even with the oil being held at the max boiling point for Naphtha, at 2 hours then placed in a vacuum purge, there was still Naphtha in the oil. We are hoping to do this with ISO soon or another person might then give us their results. At this point since we do not have enough test results in and we do not know the long term effects of solvent that is non food safe left in the oil, I would recommend only using grain alcohol, if the green bothers you then use the freezer method, just to be safe and not to cause anyone or yourself potential harm.

I did make dry ice hash which was then infused into a very small amount of coconut oil. You can do this and do a bit of math you can come up with a dose of great solvent free med that is comparable to RSO.

I found that I liked the naphtha extractions better than the alcohol extractions. I think the green (chlorophyll) was too much for me.

What is the 'freezer method'?
    Last edited by washtenaut; 06-04-2013 at 05:04 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to washtenaut For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (06-04-2013),roofratMI (06-04-2013)

I found this link from the Philly Children's Hospital Poison Control Center to be very informative. They answer the question I had about naphtha residue accumulating in the body or passing with each ingestion.

Check it out. Here is an excerpt:

Probably the most useful means of classifying hydrocarbons is with respect to their clinical effects. Two groups may be described: (1) hydrocarbons which are easily aspirated following ingestion and (2) hydrocarbons that may produce systemic toxicity in addition to their aspiration potential. The first group includes aliphatic hydrocarbons such as kerosene, mineral spirits, gasoline, naphtha and mineral seal oil. They are poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and therefore are not expected to produce systemic effects.2-6

Hydrocarbon Ingestion | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

9. The Following User Says Thank You to washtenaut For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (06-04-2013)

I think I am coming to the conclusion that the naphtha extracts might still be OK. If it doesn't really accumulate and the ingestion amount is tiny, then it may not be so bad. In a gram of well made extract, can there be more than a half a drop of naphtha?

If anyone has some and disagrees, I may be available to help you dispose of that useless stuff. I work cheap

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to washtenaut For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (06-04-2013),roofratMI (06-04-2013)

hehehe Wash OK case in point. With MS it can cause bowel problems even to the point of having to wear a diaper. Yea I know sorry gross but my point is I would not have known that Naphtha was causing me extreme diarrhea, and that it was not my health issues, had I not correlated it stopping when I ran out of the RSO made with Naphtha. Since last Friday I've only been using the one I made with grain alcohol. I have not had diarrhea since.

It does not seem to be worth it. I probably would use it if I had a good vacuum purge to make sure all the Naphtha is out but until I do I won't use the Naphtha.

TY for that link Wash, excellent! I had been searching for something that could show the effects.

If you don't like the green oil from alcohol, use the Stoneage method of exposing the extracted alcohol to sunlight. My oil is light amber in color, and looks delicious.

I wouldn't care if it was paisley. It is not really the color, just the chlorophyll that gives me gastrointestinal issues.