Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan House OKs welfare drug screening

Medijuana.Inc2010

Michigan House OKs welfare drug screening

Michigan House OKs welfare drug screening

Posted: 05.02.2013 at 4:08 AM

LANSING (AP) -- The Michigan House has approved legislation to require some people to pass drug tests and ensure that their children don't miss too many days of school in order to receive welfare benefits.

Under a measure passed by a 77 to 33 vote Wednesday, family independence assistance program applicants would be screened for illegal substances and take a test if there's reasonable suspicion they're using drugs.

Another measure passed by a 78 to 32 vote would codify current Department of Human Services' policy and strip families of benefits under the program if their children aren't meeting school attendance requirements.

The Michigan League of Public Policy says the average monthly benefit for a family of three is $429 a month.

aslong as they leave MMJ out of this ...this could be good as for the other hard drugs....test em alll

no no, this only benefits drug testing companies. Millions of dollars of tax payers money will be spent only to prove that poor people cannot afford to buy drugs. They had to add some kind of save the children sob story to it to have any hope of passing.

yes this is tru but also ...IMO Im not paying for nobody on crack/meth etctec mom that dont take care of her children, not saying everyone on wefare is addict but a nice precentage of them most likely are

So these poor people who are already struggling now get the indignity of peeing in a cup when they’re more likely to be clean than people who don’t need assistance. And those addicted few who are caught are further impoverished, making drug use and/or selling drugs on the street corner look more appealing.

Being poor is not reasonable cause to suspect someone may be using illegal drugs and, in fact, it has been shown time and again the people applying for assistance are less likely to test positive for drugs than the general populace. Furthermore, drug testing disproportionately singles out marijuana users since it remains in one’s system the longest.

Rather than discouraging a pot-smoking welfare recipient to stop, it gives incentive to switch to alcohol and other hard drugs that eliminate from the system more quickly.

im not talking about just poor people im talkin about everyone in general trust me i see it EVERYDAY a lady pulls up to my store in a 43 K caddilac Escalade with gold rings and necklaces on etctec with 6 kids using a EBT cards? Seriously? that make me wana throw her out of the store ...our tax dollers are paying for people that do stuff like this.. IMO I like the idea of the drug testing welfare patients, yes The bill does need work to protect those who are just making it by and are non addicts...but growing up only 15 mins from the heart of detroit.....I see whats goes on and see the folks on welfare and EBT and just about everyone of them I see on a daily basis have no need for it ...

as for the bill The screening isnt Mandatory for all folks....only those in reasonable suspicion would be asked...it's pretty easy to spot an addict that is on some kinda hard drugs like coke ,crack,heroin,DMT,speed etc those would be the one being asked....if they included Marijuana users...then this bill is no good, I look at both sides of the coin...this could also be somewhat helpful for those addicted to harder drugs ...if they want welfare....ditch the crank and they could get it...

All these “drug testing for benefits” laws come down to public concern that the recipient may be “spending money on illegal drugs”. Yet I see people using assistance money to buy overpriced sugared breakfast cereal for their kids, a six-pack of beer for themselves, and a couple of lottery tickets… where’s the outrage there? Either we grant people assistance to do with as they see fit or we purchase them into involuntary servitude to one degree or another. If we wish to dictate that taxpayer dollars for family assistance only be spent on healthcare, education, nutrition, and other things that directly benefit the children, why don’t we just subsidize that directly with public option healthcare, better-funded schools, and public soup kitchens, instead of trying to micro-manage and incentivize and punish welfare recipients to spend it on those things?

America is caught up in Drug Testing Fever! That’s the answer to all our drug-related problems, you see. Simply require everyone to submit a cup of urine in order to participate every activity imaginable. Then people who use drugs won’t use them anymore and all our activities will be free from drug users! Who, we suppose, will just go quietly about taking drugs during their activity-free days and not bothering the rest of us.

How did we get to this place where America has gone from the land of the free and the home of the brave to the land of the pee from the government slave?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rolo For This Useful Post:

CgOrganic (05-03-2013),jrey1999 (05-27-2013),restlesslegs (05-03-2013),roofratMI (05-03-2013)

Less government is what we need. If they really want to start instituting crap like this then they need to apply any laws they pass to themselves.
    Random drug test Congress. Make them take a breathalyzer test every morning. If they fail, they should be given the choice of rehab or jail. They need to live by the laws they implement on the citizens. No exceptions, and then maybe the stupidity would stop.
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (05-03-2013),rolo (05-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CgOrganic View Post
    Less government is what we need. If they really want to start instituting crap like this then they need to apply any laws they pass to themselves.
    Random drug test Congress. Make them take a breathalyzer test every morning. If they fail, they should be given the choice of rehab or jail. They need to live by the laws they implement on the citizens. No exceptions, and then maybe the stupidity would stop.
    These moron politicians must be trying to turn the drug war into a full blown civil war — I don’t get it…

i agree with Testing everyone but....thats not going to happen We the people have the Power ....yet we are powersless...i mean its just TO easy to get on welfare/EBT etc I'm not on it...but guess what In a matter of one day I could easily Go and get on the program ...just as much as anyone else can ...and trust me I don't need it ....there lies one of the main problems a Millionaire can get a EBT card nowdays if they wanted to.... so the wait i see it the stricter they are to get on the program the better ...in that sense the people who Really DO need it can get it and those who Don't need it cannot....thats the way it should be IMO but it's not and thats the sad part, as for the drug testing......Welcome to america EVERYTHING in a dammed biz...if they could somehow make us pay to take a shit on our Own Toilet ...I'm Sure they would .... TBH....Im seriously Think about Moving out of the Shit hole USA and moving elseware...cause this is just gettin way to messed up....if this is so called the american way? then this place isnt for me sadly....Id rather move to canada with shitty healthcare and high prices rather then be bent over by those who swear to protect its people