Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can someone tell me what would happen if I put a 1000w hps bulb in a 600w ballest

The HPS ignitor in the ballast may not be strong enough to fire the 1000W bulb. Even if it does light, it would be very inefficient energy wise. Best bet is to test it on a 600W bulb, they can be bought on ebay quite cheap. 600W bulbs in 600W ballasts are very energy efficient, so I would go that route. If the 100W does run, you will be paying top dollar for electricity and less light than you would with a 600W bulb.

it seems to be working it is real bright and has been on for a few hours im just gonna run it for a couple of days to make sure the ballast works then I will get a bulb. I just dont want to buy a 600 wat bulb for nothing they cost twice as much more trhan I can get a 1000 watt bulb. If the ballast doesnt work I will buy a $1150 1000 watt ballast I have a 1000 wat bulb and a reflector. My dream is in my flower room is to have the 600 watt in the middle and I have 2 400 watt hps lights one on each side of the 600 watt light If not I will put a 1000 watt in the middle. My flower room is 6x8 and I can grow 24 now my wife is legal and Im her caregiver. We want to pick 8 every 4 weeks is my plan and the more light I have the bigger yeild I will have off of 8 at a time. I can have 5 ozs at a time and my wife can have 2.5. Thats how much I want to pick every month. I bought some new seeds last month kcbrains afghani special and white lable double gum.The very first pack of seeds I ever bought was afghani special and yes the are very special I grew them about 7 years ago the taste good real potent and real good producers.

The last 2 600W bulbs I bought, I paid $22 for one and $26 for the other. This was from HTG on ebay. They are very good bulbs too, retail for $79

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneage For This Useful Post:

ziggy (03-07-2013)

I plan on buying a bulb if the ballast is good. I only use magnetic and not digital ballast. I read in hightimes that you only get 6 months of bulb life on digital ballast.

My 600W ballasts are all digital, I have some magnetic 400's and 100's though. I never use a bulb for more than 6 months anyhow, except for the Ceramic Halides. After 6 months most bulbs have lost 30 to 40% of their intensity anyhow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneage For This Useful Post:

ziggy (03-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    My 600W ballasts are all digital, I have some magnetic 400's and 100's though. I never use a bulb for more than 6 months anyhow, except for the Ceramic Halides. After 6 months most bulbs have lost 30 to 40% of their intensity anyhow.
    Im thinking when I get my refund back from the irs Im gonna buy all new ballasts mabey Ill get 2 digital 600s and try them in my bloom room. Maby Ill get 3 and use one for veg I dont like mh I like the super hps even for veg. Since I got $5600 comeing back mabey even buy a dozen bulbs that would last for 2 years with 3 lights.