Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nerve Pain

Nerve Pain

How Nerve Pain Feels

People with nerve pain feel it in different ways. For some, it's a stabbing pain in the middle of the night. For others, symptoms can include a chronic prickling, tingling, or burning they feel all day.

Uncontrolled nerve pain can be hard to bear. But with treatment, it can often be adequately controlled.

Understanding Nerve Pain

Pain is supposed to be a warning. When your hand gets too close to a stove, the nerves send a pain signal to the brain -- and you pull back before you burn yourself. But if you have nerve damage, that system isn't working. Damaged nerves may send false signals -- and you feel real pain, often without a cause. Damaged nerves may also result in you not feeling pain when you have an injury.

Nerve Pain Triggers

Some find that certain body positions or activities -- like standing in line or walking -- become painful. Nerve damage may also make your body overly sensitive. Some people may experience pain from bed sheets draped lightly over the body.

Loss of Feeling

Nerve damage may cause loss of sensation or numbness in the fingertips, making it harder to do things with your hands. Knitting, typing, and tying your shoes may become difficult. Many people with nerve damage say that their sense of touch feels dulled, as if they are always wearing gloves.

Nerve Pain and Sleep

Nerve pain is often worse at night. The touch of sheets or the pressure of lying down may be terribly uncomfortable. If you can't sleep because of your nerve pain, make sure to mention it to your doctor. Modifying lifestyle habits or taking medicine could help.

Losing Balance

In addition to dulling your sense of touch, nerve damage can result in muscle weakness or affect your sense of balance. Either of these could lead to falls. Assistive devices -- like braces, canes or walkers -- may help. Physical and occupational therapy may also help.

Unseen Injuries

Nerve damage doesn't just cause pain. It may also cause numbness that may prevent you from feeling pain when it matters. People with nerve damage sometimes injure themselves without realizing it. Your doctor may recommend that you check yourself for injuries regularly -- especially your feet.

Nerve Pain Progression

Left untreated, nerve damage may worsen over time. It usually starts in the nerves farthest from the brain and spinal cord -- like those in the feet and hands. Then it may move up into the legs and arms.

However, if you get treatment for the medical condition causing the nerve damage, you may be able to stop the damage -- and even reverse it.

Conditions That Cause Nerve Pain

Many conditions -- such as diabetes, shingles, and cancer -- may cause injury and nerve pain. Some people develop nerve pain for no known reason.

It is important to try to find the underlying cause of your nerve pain, such as uncontrolled diabetes, and seek appropriate treatment for it. It may help ease your pain and stop the progression of damage. But be sure you seek treatment for your pain too.

Natural Treatments for Nerve Pain
    Complementary or alternative treatments may help. For instance, studies have found that acupuncture may ease nerve pain. In some cases, nerve pain is caused or aggravated by a deficiency of vitamin B-12. Taking supplements -- under your doctor's care -- could help

High CBD plants have been proven to help nerve pain.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

Bruce (03-01-2013),I wood (03-01-2013),washtenaut (02-28-2013)

I am not sure whether cancer per se can cause nerve pain; rather I would suspect the many flavors of chemotherapy drugs that are neurotoxic would be the culprit responsible for the nerve pain. Cytoxin and Vincristine (Oncovin), very widely used chemotherapy drugs, I know for a fact cause nerve pain. Fifteen years ago, after finishing courses of chemo that included these two bad boys, it took about a year for the nerve pain to subside.
    It's been two and a half years since the last go round, and it's not getting better, or if it is , it is an infinitesimal progression. I use a Green Dragon tincture in the evening that helps. It's nice to know that the high CBD strains can also be useful.
    Nerve pain sucks, I rank it #3 on the Pains I Have to Deal with that SUCK list.
    A very informative article!
    "If the good Lord's willing, I'm gonna keep on chilling" - Kid Rock

(((HUGS))) you sure have went through the wringer with cancer. Nerve pain is probably the worst pain I have to deal with. I feel like I have two large blocks of ice for feet and ice cold water pouring down my legs at times. Nice little electrical shocks. Hands, arms, feet, and legs. I am trying to work myself back up with the CBD RSO, gives me the jitters, but I should be able to fine tune it with the THC to see what I can tolerate. At night it can be really bad and the pain that shoots through my hands and feet I have to use my mind to shut out some of that pain until the RSO kicks in enough to make me sleep. Thinking maybe if I can get enough of the high CBD in during the day it might help at bedtime.

There was an article last year I think, from Israel, with a study they did for neuropathy caused from AIDS, MS, and diabetes. CBD was used successfully, the first thing they have found that actually helps. That is one of the first things that attracted me to high CBD plants. Will you be getting a cannatonic #4?

Quote Originally Posted by restlesslegs View Post

There was an article last year I think, from Israel, with a study they did for neuropathy caused from AIDS, MS, and diabetes. CBD was used successfully, the first thing they have found that actually helps. That is one of the first things that attracted me to high CBD plants. Will you be getting a cannatonic #4?
    As a matter of fact, I should be getting a clone of that very soon, a daughter or granddaughter of one of yours I am told .
    "If the good Lord's willing, I'm gonna keep on chilling" - Kid Rock

I believe that there are other compounds in some Cannabis plants (besides thc & cbd) that are effective on nerve pain. I have a patient that suffers from severe nerve pain, and she tried a strain I grew that completely stopped the pain. Even morphine and fentanyll do not work for her. She told me she had tried dozens of strains, and none had helped at all. She says this strain completely stops the pain, where others had not even reduced it. I suspected this was a high cbd strain, but when tested it is less than 1/2 % cbd, and very moderate thc. There has got to be something else in there that is stopping the pain. Since the labs only test for limited compounds, finding out what it is that stops the pain will be difficult. I would need to do much more comprehensive testing, as well as the same testing on other strains to find out what it is that is working on her pain. It would probably be a bit more expensive to do this than I can afford, but I sure would like to know.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoneage For This Useful Post:

p^w00dy (03-01-2013),washtenaut (03-01-2013)

I agree Stoneage totally. The make up of this plant has not been fully discovered yet as to what all the parts can be used for and what benefits they carry. It is exciting to think we are all a part of discovering what it can do. What was the strain your patient used, if you don't mind saying.

The juicing has helped conditions that RSO has not. The high CBD plants help certain conditions yet others it doesn't and the same with THC. Then we see roots have medicine too along with the leaves and of course the stalk. I can hardly wait for the next "study" to come to light. I would love to have a lab somewhere to just tinker around with this plant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

abeam-pm (03-02-2013)

The strain that gives this particular patient so much relief from her nerve pain is called Blue mammoth by Barneys farm.
    It is an auto-flowering strain, and I thought it might be high in CBD because of the Ruderallis genetics but this was not the case.
    There must be some other cannabinoid or terpine in this strain that provides the pain control.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneage For This Useful Post:

abeam-pm (03-02-2013)

I really do believe that the synergistic effects of using the whole plant in natural form cannot be matched by an isolate that is extracted, amplified, then packaged up in pill or spray form.
    I believe Ryan (little pepper) is doing better juicing raw than any other form to date. That is incredible.
    Thank god his parents had the desire to find a better way for their lil guy.
    Vitamin "Cannabis" for long life.
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (03-02-2013)

The terpines I find interesting and I believe they hold many benefits we have not touched upon yet.

Vitamin C to the rescue