Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural products for your garden: Powdery Mildew & Spider Mites

Natural products for your garden: Powdery Mildew & Spider Mites

These products are getting great reviews, all natural products, no nasty chemicals.

Powdery Mildew Killer
    Powdery Mildew Killer - Organic Treatment and Control - Growers Trust

Spider Mite Killer
    Spider Mite Killer - Organic Treatment and Control - Growers Trust

2. The Following User Says Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

I wood (03-04-2013)

Powdery Mildew, I use a Water/Hydrogen Peroxide mix. Which is 100% safe and costs about $0.13 per gallon. Spider Mites, I use a more concentrated Water/Hydrogen Peroxide mix. Which is 100% safe and costs about $.026 per gallon. Plants love it and it's a natural leaf wash. Nature does this naturally with h2o2 in rain water.

When choosing which grade of Hydrogen Peroxide to use, I suggest buying 35% Food Grade. It is the purest form available and can even be consumed by humans as a form of "hydrogen Peroxide treatment" for ailments and diseases. (Fun fact, when eating fruit like an orange, your body uses the Vitamin C source to convert into Hydrogen Peroxide. Having high amounts in our urinary tracts and colon, for flushing our bodies.) If you cannot find or afford 35% FGHP (It runs roughly $30-60 per pint) then you may use 3% HP which is found at Pharmacies. The up side to the 35% is it is more pure with no additives and you use less when mixing. Only 2 TSP per gallon vs. 1/2 Cup per gallon with 3% HP. Double those when using as a treatment for mildew/mites/fungus/ill plants.

Hope this helps some folks save money and grow beautiful plants!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DailyToker For This Useful Post:

I wood (03-04-2013),restlesslegs (03-04-2013),Stoneage (03-04-2013)

I'd still reccomend using gloves w that super concentrated hydrogen peroxide.
    I couldn't ever imagine consuming it as it itches and appears to cause slight surface cellular damage if you spill it on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by abeam-pm View Post
    I'd still reccomend using gloves w that super concentrated hydrogen peroxide.
    I couldn't ever imagine consuming it as it itches and appears to cause slight surface cellular damage if you spill it on your hands.
    You really shouldn't consume non food grade Hydrogen Peroxide as it contains other additives for shelf life and breakdown.
    It really isn't "super concentrated" at only 35%. It is actually decentralized.

It itches when you have it on your hands? I guess I could see that. Everyone is different and chemicals act differently as such.
    However it doesn't cause any surface damage. It is absorbed by skin upon contact and creates a local skin capillary embolism that appears as a temporary whitening of the skin. Key word is temporary.

Gloves can't hurt though! I actually put a pair on right when I go in the garden to work. Makes cleanup easy and also makes me feel all scientific.

Yeah, my 'temporary' embolisms (lol) from 35% H2O2 seemed to make my fingers painfully itch. 1000% stronger than off the shelf hydrogen peroxide is my idea of "super" strong, maybe concentrated was the wrong word, we understand though... I like the stuff for sanitization for sure.

When I wanna feel scientific, been known to bust out my lab coat even if it has some an embroidered logo for women's estrogen treatments on the front pocket.. it was on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by abeam-pm View Post
    Yeah, my 'temporary' embolisms (lol) from 35% H2O2 seemed to make my fingers painfully itch. 1000% stronger than off the shelf hydrogen peroxide is my idea of "super" strong, maybe concentrated was the wrong word, we understand though... I like the stuff for sanitization for sure.

When I wanna feel scientific, been known to bust out my lab coat even if it has some an embroidered logo for women's estrogen treatments on the front pocket.. it was on sale.
    Well, 35% compared to pharmacy shelf grade 3% is somewhere around 32% stronger. Or at least somewhere in there, I've never been great at math. So really I guess 1000% is pretty close too. lol.

If it made my hands painfully itch I would be grabbing some gloves too. Does it go away rather quickly or do you have more than a 24 hour pain/itch?

I wish I had a white lab coat, I would wear it out to the mail box with nothing on under it and a pair of flip flops. I would even welcome one with a vagina embroidered logo on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyToker For This Useful Post:

I wood (03-10-2013)

The labcoats I've seen just say Estro-step on the front pocket, so you'll have custmomize it if you'd like more artwork.

The burning sensation only lasts about 30 min or less from direct contact from the 35% hydrogen peroxide. When you see your fingers turn white, it reminds me of acid dissolving something, so I opt for gloves as it feels slightly caustic.

Now let me try my fuzzy math skills out again, yes my number of 1000% increase, from store bought off the shelf H2o2 compared to the 35% stuff, may have been low. First a 32% increase upon a 3% solution would become only 3.96%, not 35%.

Yes, the difference between 3% and 35% is only 32, but is that the actual percentage increase? If 6% would be a 100% increase from 3%, then it will be easier to see how 35% is really a 1,066.66% increase from a 3% solution. Math is one of my least favorite subjects, but if someone can explain this better or correct me if I'm wrong, please do.

To determine percentage increases/decreases, I believe the formula is: the amt. of change/divided by orig. amt. X 100.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abeam-pm For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (03-10-2013)

The formula you mentioned is to determine the percent of change between two numbers. It doesn't really work to determine the percent of change between two percentages. That is as simple as subtraction. 35% - 3% = 32%..

If you take two numbers such as 302 & 219. And you want to find the percentage increase of 302..
    302-219= 83. The increase taken in relation to 219= 83/219= .378. Then expressed as a % = .378*100= 37.8%.
    So the solution of what is the percent increase of 302 & 219 is 37.8% increase.

But again, my math isn't that great so 1000% MAY BE pretty close.

How any of this has to do with the original post is beyond me. I guess it comes down to, wear some gloves and enjoy your pest & fungus free plants.