Thread: Michigan Court of Appeals says no crime in sharing medical marijuana

Michigan Court of Appeals says no crime in sharing medical marijuana

Michigan Court of Appeals says no crime in sharing medical marijuana | Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

HASTINGS ó The Michigan appeals court says thereís nothing illegal about a medical marijuana user providing a small amount of pot to another registered user at no cost.

The court agreed Wednesday with a Barry County judge who had dismissed charges against Tony Green. Itís the first decision by the appeals court in a case involving marijuana that changed hands without money.

There is no dispute that Green provided less than 2 1/2 ounces of marijuana to Al Thornton in Nashville, in September 2011. Both were qualified to use medical marijuana.

The Supreme Court heard arguments last fall in a case involving cash sales of marijuana. A decision is pending. The appeals court in 2011 said such sales are illegal.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roofratMI For This Useful Post:

CgOrganic (01-30-2013),I wood (01-30-2013)

I'll take that as a win
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

Yes a big win. From a long view the question had many draw backs for patients and caregivers alike. Glad to see the court deciding in the patients favor.
    Every law that impedes the rights and the freedoms of the people is another step toward dictatorship.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Bruce (02-01-2013)

Wow, as always Roofrat, your fast. I was just home and excited share this, and pow, you won. Lmao.
    Why has man lived thousands of years without governemnt aid, and depends upon it to aid them today?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteryman For This Useful Post:

roofratMI (02-01-2013)

So, a patient can have a CG, get meds from him/her for a "contribution" and then just give it away to another patient? That's just dumb. And if it were me, I would make sure to compensate the P to P transfer. I can see someone who's broke getting a limited amount of meds from a friend, but to expect to get it for free if you can afford it? No way. "F***" the state. If I were ever to get meds from another patient, I would be sure to pay them at least as much as they paid for it from their CG.

Medijuana.Inc2010
    But now all cancer patients may obtain Meds, RSO, etc. for FREE of course to & from any carded person.

Now, the rest of the story. Tony Green is in jail for selling to undercover cops. I wonder if they pulled the "fake card" trick on him? It wouldn't surprise me, cops can break the law but we have to follow it!

"Green, 36, is serving a prison sentence on a different charge -- selling marijuana to two undercover agents, his attorney said."

Court says patients can share marijuana | Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

And how in the world do they come up with this? It makes no sense, unless dispensaries are going to give away meds for free. (Not gonna happen!)

"A spokeswoman for Schuette said Wednesday that no decision had been made on whether to appeal the ruling to the Michigan Supreme Court. The ruling could be interpreted as legitimizing dispensaries -- the retail distributors of medical marijuana, which Schuette has repeatedly said he vigorously opposes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Now, the rest of the story. Tony Green is in jail for selling to undercover cops. I wonder if they pulled the "fake card" trick on him? It wouldn't surprise me, cops can break the law but we have to follow it!

"Green, 36, is serving a prison sentence on a different charge -- selling marijuana to two undercover agents, his attorney said."

Court says patients can share marijuana | Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

And how in the world do they come up with this? It makes no sense, unless dispensaries are going to give away meds for free. (Not gonna happen!)

"A spokeswoman for Schuette said Wednesday that no decision had been made on whether to appeal the ruling to the Michigan Supreme Court. The ruling could be interpreted as legitimizing dispensaries -- the retail distributors of medical marijuana, which Schuette has repeatedly said he vigorously opposes."
    Patient to patient transfers will be ruled on shortly by the Michigan Supreme Court. They have been mulling this one over for a couple of months now. Should hear of their interpretation on this issue soon.

The tranfer of free meds was another appeal from another case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

Quote Originally Posted by roofratMI View Post
    Patient to patient transfers will be ruled on shortly by the Michigan Supreme Court. They have been mulling this one over for a couple of months now. Should hear of their interpretation on this issue soon.

The tranfer of free meds was another appeal from another case.
    Yes, I get that. But the talk of of P to P transfers for free has nothing to do with dispensaries. Dispensaries are going to be selling meds, not giving them away. Schuette is probably just worried that all of these decisions aren't going the way he wants them to.

And to be honest? I thought P to P transfers, even with compensation, was already legal. How about CG to P if the P isn't signed up with that CG?