Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical marijuana without the high could be a game changer, advocate says

Medijuana.Inc2010

Medical marijuana without the high could be a game changer, advocate says

Medical marijuana without the high could be a game changer, advocate says

By Andrew Averill | aaverill@mlive.com
    on October 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM, updated October 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

GRAND BLANC, MI -- A new hope exists for medical marijuana patients and advocates that could turn the debate about illicit drug-as-medicine on its head -- medical marijuana that does not get the user high.

Advocates will present information on "smoke-free, buzz-free" marijuana to those invited to the seminar at the Genesys Regional Medical Center in Grand Blanc Township on Friday, Oct. 12.

Dr. William Courtney, who received his doctor of medicine degree at Wayne State University, and Michigan Rep. Michael Callton, R-Nashville, will be presenting information on "no-high" marijuana to attendees.

Callton, a chiropractor, voted against the marijuana law in 2008, but said he has since reconsidered after testimony from his patients led him to believe medical marijuana had a place in abetting appetite and helping to ease chronic pain.

One woman with Parkinsons disease he treats told him she ingests an oral marijuana candy, a medicine that doesn't make her intoxicated in order to calm her tremors enough so she can sleep, Callton said.

"She doesn't want to get high," Callton said. "She just wants to sleep."

Medical marijuana critics, Callton said, often allege patients use marijuana just to get high, but the use of buzz-free marijuana could shift in how public officials and lawmakers view medical marijuana.

Callton said he's offended by advocates for medical marijuana who dress in tie-dye clothes and continue the stereotype that all marijuana users are 1960's-era hippies. Marijuana use today is not like Woodstock, Callton said,

"I'd like to see a focus on 'high-free' marijuana where there is very little THC (the active chemical in marijuana)" Callton said. "Beyond the high is the healing."

The private seminar takes place in the Genesys Conference and Banquet Center, located at 801 Health Park Boulevard in Grand Blanc Township. It begins at 7 p.m.

I can see there where there is a need for both, with and without the high. It would be nice if I could down a massive blob of RSO without getting completely whacked out of my skull and having to spend the next 12 hours talking to Jesus.

The only worry I have is someone (like politicians) purposely polluting the gene pool in an attempt to remove the high in all of the cannabis.

I would just prefer to use a high cbd strain.
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

Medijuana.Inc2010
    I believe Monsanto has already come up with a chemical that will kill all marijuana plants, & they have already come up with the seeds, that will replace the marijuana plant, without THC.

Monsanto....that figures

Remember this song lyric? I don't think Monsanto has all of them seeds.

And he dug and he burned
    And he burned and he dug
    And he killed all our cute little weeds
    Then he drove away
    We just smiled and waved...
    Sittin' there on that sack of seeds

Wildwood Flower !

because of my job I am on emergency maintenance on-call status 24/7 ,so it was very hard to consume meds because of the high , but now with the low thc high cbd strains it makes it possible to have my meds and not have to worry about being impaired while on the job they have been a miracle for me to control my pain and function daily ,(jim stafford) wildwood weed, didn't he do the streak also ? long long time ago, I am starting to stockpile my seeds just incase

I need the high too. The high helps ease diabetic neuropathy because you almost forget you hurt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

abeam-pm (03-30-2013)

Well, what about us peeps that want to get high?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to uuberdude For This Useful Post:

ziggy (03-30-2013)

You should have the choice. I enjoy the high cbd for daytime and the high thc for evening. The high definately helps some to cope with their pains and illnesses. I don't view this as an "either or" type of scenario. Both are needed.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (03-30-2013),ziggy (03-30-2013)