Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grow Light Operating Cost

Grow Light Operating Cost

FatFreddy found this excellent link. Enter your info and it gives you the run down on what your grow light set up cost to operate. Thank you FF!
    Grow Light Operating Cost - Greentrees Hydroponics

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to restlesslegs For This Useful Post:

Krustysurfer (10-02-2012),roofratMI (09-18-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by restlesslegs View Post
    FatFreddy found this excellent link. Enter your info and it gives you the run down on what your grow light set up cost to operate. Thank you FF!
    Grow Light Operating Cost - Greentrees Hydroponics
    You are welcome

I have some questions for some of the more experanced growers out there.
    I want to get a 400-600w hps light and ballest. What would you suggest that is low cost? Magnetic or electronic?
    What would be a good all around bulb for say a MH or hps, I am trying to stay within my limited budget so if I can use one type of light for both veg and flower it would save me a ton.
    Every law that impedes the rights and the freedoms of the people is another step toward dictatorship.

Medijuana.Inc2010
    It says replacement cost for a 1000 watt is $27.00 ??? My 1000 watt eye hortilux bulbs cost $76.00 a piece to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Medijuana.Inc2010 View Post
    It says replacement cost for a 1000 watt is $27.00 ??? My 1000 watt eye hortilux bulbs cost $76.00 a piece to replace.

I tend to think that is a basic cost for run of the mill bulbs.
    Every law that impedes the rights and the freedoms of the people is another step toward dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
    I tend to think that is a basic cost for run of the mill bulbs.
    Google plantmax bulbs. Folks, these are the SAME bulbs you are buying from hortilux. The same company manufacturers them, the difference is the middleman that labels them. I run nothing but plantmax and am saving tons of cash and they are still great bulbs.

FF, a digital (electronic) ballast is about 10% more efficient then a magnetic ballast. Some folks argue that they are safer as well. That being said, they do cost a bit more.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pepper For This Useful Post:

Fat Freddy (10-01-2012),restlesslegs (10-01-2012),roofratMI (10-01-2012)

Here's a chart on the light output of various bulbs that I came accross. The % reads as the percentage more light than the bulb below on the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BassManD For This Useful Post:

roofratMI (10-01-2012)

I did not know that Plantmax were the same bulbs as Hortilux, but I have been using them for quite a while. They are very good bulbs IMO, and the price is good too so I think I will stick with them. Freddie, my suggestion would be to use 2 bulbs, one for veg and one for flower. You can veg and flower using either or, but there are growth disadvantages using HPS for veg, and disadvantages using MH for flower. I would also suggest you get a 600W system because the increase in lumens over a 400W will save you money in the long run. If you use a 400W and end up having to supplement it with a 4 bulb 4 foot T-5 you will be using over 600W and be getting less light. The most economical size to use is 1000 watts, if you look at $ per watt.
    If you go digital, get a quality ballast so the cable company does not come snooping around wondering why there is interference on their lines. This just happened to a friend of mine in Ann Arbor not too long ago, and I know of others who have had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    I did not know that Plantmax were the same bulbs as Hortilux, but I have been using them for quite a while. They are very good bulbs IMO, and the price is good too so I think I will stick with them. Freddie, my suggestion would be to use 2 bulbs, one for veg and one for flower. You can veg and flower using either or, but there are growth disadvantages using HPS for veg, and disadvantages using MH for flower. I would also suggest you get a 600W system because the increase in lumens over a 400W will save you money in the long run. If you use a 400W and end up having to supplement it with a 4 bulb 4 foot T-5 you will be using over 600W and be getting less light. The most economical size to use is 1000 watts, if you look at $ per watt.
    If you go digital, get a quality ballast so the cable company does not come snooping around wondering why there is interference on their lines. This just happened to a friend of mine in Ann Arbor not too long ago, and I know of others who have had the same problem.
    Ummm ok what would be a good ballast? I have used 400w mh and 2 250w hps. trying to downsize and save money at the same time.

Some really nice lighting info on this site. Hope you don't mind reading
    YOR - Lighting Resources
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CgOrganic For This Useful Post:

roofratMI (10-01-2012)

Some of the nicer 600W digital ballasts are adjustable, that way if you don't need the whole 600 watts you can throw a 400W bulb in and set the ballast for 400W. There are many good brands of digital ballasts, I like Lumatek and Solis Tek brands myself.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneage For This Useful Post:

roofratMI (10-02-2012)