Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Phase Gardening---who uses this method?

Moon Phase Gardening---who uses this method?

hey folks just wanting to start a discussion on Moon Phase gardening and the different affects it can have on sowing and reaping....this is a secret I have long cherished and I always try and follow the schedule --just thought this forum would be a good place to share this as I am a firm believer in this and outcomes I have seen....anyone else?

I can testify strongly to results from different phases of the moon---

if I knew how to cut/paste I could post some nice links--

Not a good day to plant seeds according to Farmers Almanac.
    August 2012
    11th-13th Any Seeds Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calendar
    King of the Caprines, Boss of the Bovids.

the best time to start seeds/seedlings is on an ascending moon in a water sign----earth sign

1st -2nd quarter

I use the lunaf.com moon calendar and a couple other ones--

I find this really fascinating ganja. Hope you add more to this really awesome info, thanks!

Cool link and very interesting. Thanks!

We always harvest under the Harvest Moon, last Saturday!

afi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ganja soldier For This Useful Post:

restlesslegs (10-10-2012)

http://sxc.hu/pic/1/m/g/go/gobran111/184124_7273.jpg

Moon Cycles and Marijuana

My hope is that each and everyone uses and understands moon cycles as it relates to marijuana.I started using the farmers almanac 3 years ago.From my experiences and observations,the moon does have an effect on marijuana.Each individual,i believe and hope,will get something out of this topic.Others have spoken on the topic of the moon influences on marijuana.Heres just a few key quotes to get you started:

Witchdoctor at BGS:

Seeds do germinate much more successfully during the waxing (increase) of the moon. Especially annuals. Marijuana is an annual crop. An annual is a plant that completes its entire life cycle within one growing season and has to be seeded each year. During the increasing or waxing light-from the new moon to the full moon plant annuals that produce their yield above the ground. During the decreasing or waning light from full moon to new moon farmers should plant biennials, perennials, and bulb and root plants. I do not recommend planting annuals during this time unless absolutely necessary please use a fertile moon in a water sign, such as cancer, Scorpio or Pisces. I will get more in to detail on individual signs later. As a rule of thumb only plant or clone during the waxing of the moon.

First quarter - increasing

Plant annuals producing their yields above the ground, which are generally of the leafy kind that produce their seed outside the fruit. Examples broccoli, cabbage, spinach, etc.

Second quarter - increasing

Plant annuals producing their yields above the ground, which are generally of the viney kind the produce seed inside the fruit. Examples include beans, pumpkins tomatoes, etc.
    If you can't plant during the first quarter, plant during the second, and vice versa. There are many plants that seemed to do equally well in either quarter.
    Both of these moon phases are very positive for fertilizing chemically, grafting, pruning to increase growth, watering (especially during water signs) and transplanting (especially during the second quarter).

Full Moon

I have noticed a definite increase in floral bouquet and one in plumpness in the tops of the plants during this time. This makes sense to me as the energy is pulled up through the plant from their roots to the top as the moon waxes. This is more prominent closer to harvest when the buds are reaching full maturity. I personally do not recommend harvesting at the full moon as most of the water in the plant is being retained in the buds usually causing harvesting and drying to take longer time, which can create potential for mold growth. I have found waiting until the third quarter is the best as it has added more weight as the plant has reached its full maturity according to the lunar cycle and natural drying time is significantly shortened.

Third quarter - decreasing

Plant biennials, perennials, and bulb and root plants. Also plant trees, shrubs and berries.
    Since this does not really pertain to our plant of interest this time is also beneficial for organic fertilizing and also for harvesting crops for dryness and healthy storage, especially if the moon is traveling through a fire or air sign. It is also a good time to prune to retard growth and to promote better fruit.

Fourth quarter - decreasing

This is the best time to the cultivate, turns sod, pull weeds, and destroy pests of all kinds, especially when using a fire or air sign (also Virgo being a barren earth sign)

Every 28 days the moon travels through the twelve signs of the astrological signs like eternal clockwork and stays in each sign for 2-3 days affecting everything including plants on the earth with the influence of that particular sign. There are four elements to these signs as in most sciences Water (fruitful) Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces, Earth (semifruitful) Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn, Air (semibarren) Gemini, Libra and Aquarius, Fire(.barren) Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.

Moon in Aries- Barren and dry, fiery and masculine. Use for destroying noxious weeds and pests.

Moon in Taurus-productive and moist, earthy and feminine. used for planting many crops when hardiness is important.

Moon in Gemini-.Barren and dry, airy and masculine. Used for destroying noxious growths, weeds and pests, and for cultivation.

Moon in Cancer-very fruitful and moist, watery and feminine. This is the most productive sign, used extensively for planting and irrigation.

Moon in Leo-barren and dry, fiery and masculine. This is the most barren
    sign, used only for killing weeds and cultivation.

Moon in Virgo-barren and moist, earthy and feminine. Good for cultivation and destroying weeds and pests.

Moon in Libra-semi fruitful and moist. Airy and masculine, used for planting many crops and producing good pulp growth and roots. A very good sign for flowers and vines, also used for seeding hay, corn fodder, grass (hee hee) this sign is especially good for aroma and beauty in your flowers.

Moon in Scorpio-very fruitful and moist, watery and feminine. Nearly as productive as cancer; it used for the same purposes.

Moon in Sagittarius-barren and dry, fiery and masculine. Used for planting onions, seeding hay and for cultivating.

Moon in Capricorn-productive and dry, earthy and feminine. Good for planting root crops (peyote).

Moon in Aquarius-barren and dry, airy and masculine, used for cultivation and destroying weeds and pests.

Moon in Pisces -watery and feminine, used along with cancer and Scorpio, especially good for root growth.

In considering an almanac you must consider both the moon's phase and the moon’s signs in making the calculations for the proper timing of our work. It is perhaps a little easier to understand this if we remind ourselves that we are all living in the center of a vast electromagnetic field that is the earth and its environment and space. Everything that occurs within this electromagnetic field has an effect on everything else within the field. The moon and sun are the most important factors affecting the life of the earth, and it is their relative positions to the earth that we project for each day of the year. Many people claim not only do they achieve larger crops gardening by the moon, but that their fruits and vegetables are much tastier. I have been studying astrological gardening for ten years and still have much to learn. It is an extensive science. I have found it to be extremely worth studying and experimenting with all of my gardening crops. I know for a fact that our gardening has become more and more successful practicing this method of gardening. The Farmers almanac method is not the same as the astrological method and did not work for us. I recommend Llewellyn’s moon sign book which comes out each year with a precise day by day schedule that tells you what to do. An excellent gardening schedule year round, indoors or out. Nothing can hide from the moon’s influence on this Earth including mankind.

Nathan Nice at OG wrote:

Moon Cycles

Since ancient times man has observed the effect of the moon on living organisms, especially his crops. Planting and harvest dates based on moon cycles are still found in the Old Farmer's Almanac.

The moon takes 28 to 29 days to completely orbit the earth. This cycle is divided into four one-week phases. It starts as the new moon waxes (begins to enlarge) for a week until the quarter moon and another week until the moon is full. Then the waning (shrinking) cycle begins and the moon passes back for two weeks through another quarter to reach the beginning of the cycle with a new moon.

Most cultivators agree that the best time for planting is on the waxing moon, and the best time to harvest is on the waning moon. Exact new moons, full moons, and quarter moons are avoided as these are times of interplanetary stress. Planting, germinating, grafting, and layering are most favored during phases 1 and 2. The best time is a few days before the full moon. Phases 3 and 4 are most beneficial for harvesting and pruning.

Root growth seems accelerated at the time of the new moon, possibly as a response to increased gravitational pull from the alignment of sun and moon. It also seems that floral cluster formation is slowed by the full moon.

Strong, full moonlight is on the borderline of being enough light to cease floral induction entirely. Although this never happens, if a plant is just about to begin floral growth, it may be delayed a week by a few nights of bright moonlight. Conversely, plants begin floral growth during the dark nights of the new moon. More research is needed to explain the mysterious effects of moon cycles on Cannabis..

Chiron from CW & OG wrote:
    I use Llwellyn's Moon sign book- It is better to use this book as comapered to most almanacs because the majority of almanacs use astronomical calculation of the Moon in a constallations; but for astrological purposes Llwellyn uses the Moon in zodiac signs. This is what we want to use for gardening. The differnce between the two is about one sign apart. This means if you used an almanac you could be planting in the wrong sign even though some almanacs use the term Moon signs. Due to procession of the equinoxes the "constellations" and the "Signs" don't match.

HippieChick from OG:
    Nothing is really carved in stone, as everyone swears by something different- but I also garden by the stars. Here's a few of my own notes & observations, if they help- great...if not, well, you ain't out much...

Phase of moon- I consider it to be 2 days BEFORE and 2 days AFTER the actual calendar date...check an almanac for reference...

Moon Sign- there's two kinds, the astrological and astronomical (or actual) place in the Zodiac, where the Moon resides during its journey across the night sky. Some folks use the astrological moonsign, I personally like the astronomical one instead. Planting while the Moon is in a Water (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) or Earth sign (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn) will produce plants that will grow rapidly and will generally thrive beyond expectation, and also may have a higher ratio of females. Planting in a Fire sign (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) tends to produce low germ rates, with a high proportion of hermies and males- also the plants will be susceptible to mites, mold, diseases and pests. The Air sign plants will tend to be stretchy and may yield less than expected, but should otherwise thrive.

New Moon- the moon is reborn from darkness into light...much like a seed emerging from the soil. This is a powerful time for planting, as seeds grow and sprout quickly and will tolerate a considerable amount of abuse. It's also a perfect time for cloning- even better if the Moon is in a Water or Earth sign.

*Black Moon- technically the 2nd new moon in a calendar month, it is exceedingly rare...also even more powerful than a standard new moon for cultivation purposes. There is a Black Moon in May, on the 30th...during which time it'll be in the sign of Taurus- a GREAT time for starting seeds!

Full Moon- the Full Moon has very powerful and dramatic effects on Earth and her occupants...also an excellent time for cultivation and harvesting! Seeds started under a Full Moon may not germ and grow as rapidly as under a New Moon, but they will be spectacular plants...full of vigor and potency.

There is a Lunar Eclipse on May 15, another great time for starting seeds...also a Solar Eclipse on the 30th...this month has some VERY powerful and influential dates for planting and cultivation!

There's much more, but I'm too stoned to go into further detail ATM... All I can say is this: I've gardened faithfully by the stars and have had very outstanding results.

Chiron on "THoroughbred seeds"
    What he(George Llewellyn) did was save the seeds from plants that were planted in a particular Moon sign and phase. For example- You plant your seeds in Cancer -1st quarter. Pollenate those plants to make seed. These plants will now have the genetic fruitfullness of Cancer. The next year you plant the seeds in another sign like Pisces which will give the plant the ability for better root development along with the benifits of Cancer. Taurus and Capricorn is good to use for making the plant more resistant to dry weather. You need to keep tract when you planted your seeds inorder to combine those traits when making seeds. This method does work.

I've started a general discussion thread in the basic forum for anyone interested in this topic. Please feel free to post related links, threads, personal experiences, opinions, questions, etc.

http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbport...&threadid=60766

As mentioned earlier, I started using the Farmers Almanac 3 years ago but at same time a good friend told me it was inaccurate, but could offer no more information. Early last year I read about Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book and so I bought one. After using the almanac last year, i'm sold, and will be using this system in my future gardening activities (Indoors & Outdoors).
    The following is an excerpt from the 2003 Llewellyn's 98th Annual Moon Sign Book:

Dr Clark Timmins is one of the few modern scientists to have conducted tests in Moon planting. Following is a summary of his experiments:

BEETS:When sown with the Moon in Scorpio, the germination rate was 71%; when sown in Saggittarius, the germination rate was 58%.
    SCOTCH MARIGOLD:When sown with the Moon in Cancer, the germination rate was 90%; when sown in Leo, the rate was 32%.
    CARROTS:When sown wiith the Moon in Scorpio, the germination rate was 64%; when sown in Sagittarius, the germination rate was 47%.
    TOMATOES:When sown with the Moon in Cancer, the germination rate was 90%; but when sown with the Moon in Leo, the germination rate was 58%.

Two things should be emphasized. First, remember that this is only a summary of the results of the experiments; the experiments themselves were conducted in a scientific manner to eliminate any variation in soil, temperature, moisture, and so on, so that only the Moon sign is varied. second, note that these astonishing results were obtained without regard to the phase of the Moon ---- the other factor we use in Moon planting, and which presumbably would have increased the differiential in germination rates.
    Further experiments by Dr.Timmins involved transplanting cancer- and Leo-planted tomato seedlings while the Moon was increasing and in Cancer. The result was 100% survival. When transplanting was done with the Moon decreasing and in Sagittarius, there was 0% srvival. The results of Dr.Timmins' tests show that the Cancer-planted tomatoes had blossoms twelve days earlier than those planted under Leo; the Cancer-planted tomatoes had an average height of twenty inches at that time compare to fifteen inches for the Leo-planted; the first ripe tomatoes were gathered from the Cancer plantings eleven days ahead of the Leo plantings; and a count of the hanging fruit and its size and weight shows an advantage to the Cancer plants over the Leo plants of 45%.
    Dr.Timmins also observed that ther have been similar tests that did not indicate results favorable to the Moon planting theory. As a scientist, he asked why one set of experiments indicated a positive vertification of Moon planting, and others did not. He checked these other tests and found that the experiments had not followed the geocentric system for determining the Moon sign positions, but the heliocentric. When the times used in these other tests were converted to the geocentic system, the dates chosen often were found to be in barren, rather than fertile, signs. Without going into a technical explanation, it is sufficient to point out that geocentric and heliocentric positions often vary by as much as four days. This is a large enough differential to place the Moon in Cancer, for example, in the heliocentric system, and at the same time in Leo by the geocentric system.
    Most almanacs and calenders show the Moon's signs heliocentrically ---- and thus incorrectly for Moon planting ---- while the Moon Sign Book is calculated correctly for planting purposes, using the geocentric system. Some readers are confused because the Moon Sign Book talks about first, second, third, and fourth quarters, while some almanacs refer to these same divisions as New Moon, first quarter, Full Moon, and fourth quarter. Thus the almanacs say first quarter when the Moon Sign Book says second quarter.
    There is nothing complicated about using astrology in agriculture and horticulture in order to increase both pleasure profit, but there is one very important rule that is often neglected ---- use common sense! Of course this is one rule that should be remembered in every activity we undertake, but in the case of gardening and farming by the Moon if it is not possible to use the best dates for planting or harvesting, we must select the next best and just try to do the best we can.
    This brings up the matter of the other factors to consider in your gardening work. The dates we give as best for a certain activity apply to the entire country (with slight time correction), but in your section of the country you may be buried under three feet of snow on a date we say is good to plant your flowers. So we have factors of weather, season, temperature and moisture variations, soil conditions, your own available time and opportunity, and so forth. Some astrologers like to think it is all a matter of science, but gardening is also an art. In art, you develop an instintive identification with your work and influrnce it with your feelings and wishes.

The Moon Sign Book gives you the place of the Moon for every day of the year so that you can select the best times once you have become familiar with the rules and practices of lunar agriculture. We give you specific, easy-to-follow directions so that you can get right down to work.
    We give you the best dates for planting, and also for various related activities, including cultivation, fertilizing, harvesting, irrigation, and getting rid of weeds and pests. But we cannot tell you exactly when it's good to plant. Many of these rules were learned by observation and experience; as the body of experience grew we could see various patterns emerging that allowed us to make judgements about new things. That's what you should do, too. After you have worked with lunar agriculture for a while and have gained a working knowledge, you will probably begin to try new things ---- and we hope you will share your experiments findings with us. That's how the science grows.
    Here's an example of what we mean. Years ago, Llewellyn George suggested that we try to combine our bits of knowledge about what to expect in planting under each of the Moon signs in order to gain benefit from several lunar factors in one plant. From this came our rule for developing "thoroughbred seed". To develop thoroughbred seed, save the seed for three sucessive years from plants grown by the correct Moon sign and phase. You can plant in the first quarter phase and in the sign of Cancer for fruitfulness; the second year, plant seeds from the first year plants in Libra for beauty; and in the third year, plant the seeds from the second year plants in Tasurus to produce hardiness. In a similar manner you can combine the fruitfulness of Cancer, the good root growth of Pisces, and the sturdiness and good vine growth of Scorpio. And don't forget the characteristics of Capricorn; hardy like Taurus, but drier and perhaps more resistant to drought and disease.
    Unlike common almanacs, we consider both the Moon's phase and the Moon's sign in making our calculations for the proper timing of our work. It is perhaps a little easier to understand this if we remind you that we are all living in the center of a vast electromagnetic field that is the Earth and its enviroment in space. Everything that occurs within this electromagnetic field has an effect on everything else within the field. The Moon and the Sun are the most important of the factors affecting the life of the Earth, and it is their relative positions to the Earth that we project for each day of the year.
    Many people claim that not only do they achieve larger gardening by the Moon, but that their fruits and vegetables are much tastier. A number of organic gardeners have also become lunar gardeners using the natural rhythum of life forces that we experience through the relative movements of the Sun and Moon. We provide a few basic rules and then give you day-by-day guidance for your gardening work. You will be able to choose the best dates to meet your own needs and opportunities.

Below are threads related to moon discussions and also where some of above quotes can be found.

Threads from CW:
    MoonGROWcalender
    http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbport...&highlight=moon <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...ighlight%3dmoon>

Using the Moon signs
    http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbport...&highlight=moon <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...ighlight%3dmoon>

Planting and harvesting with moon cycles?

Threads from OG:
    Moon Phases: Something to Ponder
    http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showth...15&pagenumber=1 <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...6pagenumber%3d1>

Growing by moon phases
    http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showth...threadid=321045 <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...readid%3d321045>

plant on which moon stage?
    http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showth...15&pagenumber=1 <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...6pagenumber%3d1>

Harvesting At Full Moon

The moon is our buddy

Thread from BGS
    The Moon
    404 - Not Found <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...2f000046%2ehtml>

2004 Moon Sign Book: Timing is Your Key to Success
    Llewellyn Worldwide <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...php%3fpn%3dJ124>

Farmers Almanac
    Old Farmers Almanac: weather forecasts gardening moon calendar recipes <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...lmanac%2ecom%2f>

Planting by the moon
    Travel Tips and Reviews <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...hemoon%2ecom%2f>

Gardening by the moon
    Moon Phases Garden Calendar 2012 Lunar Planting Guide Gardening Calendar with best days to plant by the phase and signs <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...hemoon%2ecom%2f>

Planting by the Moon Phases by E.A.Crawford
    http://lonestar.texas.net/~kkeys/sp...onseed.html#why <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...ed%2ehtml%23why>

EVIDENCE FOR LUNAR-SIDEREAL RHYTHMS IN CROP YIELD: A REVIEW
    http://www.astro3.demon.co.uk/evidence.htm <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...fevidence%2ehtm>

Moon Calender
    http://www.spiritproject.com/medicus/mooncal/ <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...us%2fmooncal%2f>

Inconstant moon:Virtual tour of the moon
    Inconstant Moon: multimedia tours of the lunar surface <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...nconstant%2ehtm>

Virtual Reality Moon Phase Pictures
    Moon Phase Images <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...2fvphase%2ehtml>

Moon Cycles and Seasons
    http://www.astrologysvcs.com/index_files/page0006.htm <http://64.4.10.250:80/cgi-bin/linkr...fpage0006%2ehtm>

a little something for Dave letterman--

note: a lot of these links are old and no longer work--
    you get the picture though--

and be especially aware of the paragraph where it talks about planting and cloning during a waning moon--

guess what sat is--one of the best days to take cuttings---waning ...on new moon in root day

good luk

I am really going to the lazy on this one. Right now at this moment in time what day is the best to harvest.